Uji is a porridge made of any one or multiple flours like corn meal, sorghum, millet. Today we’re making millet flour uji. Millet flour is ground from the millet grain. Millet is quite healthy and gluten free. It is a nutritious breakfast for all and is especially great for pregnant women, nursing mothers and babies too.
2 Cup of Millet Flour
6 Cups of Water
1/2 Cup of Heavy Whipping Creme
Honey (to sweeten)
½ lemon (optional)
- Boil 4 cups of water in a wide pot.
- Mix the millet flour with 2 cup of cold water.
- Gradually add the millet + water mixture into the boiling water and briskly stir continuously till it thickens. This is an important step because you want to avoid “tuhii’s” (little boys) in the uji. This is the little balls that coagulate and form if stirring is not consistent.
- Reduce heat and let it boil for about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice, whipping creme and honey into the uji to your taste.